Liga MX on UDN Out-delivers NHL on NBCSN and NBA on NBA TV
NEW YORK – APRIL 6, 2015 – Univision Communications Inc. (UCI), the leading media company serving Hispanic America, delivered strong results with its sports content across its media platforms in 1Q15, airing 4 of the top 5 most-viewed soccer matches on all TV among both Total Viewers and Adults 18-49, regardless of language.
- UniMás’ broadcast of the international friendly, Mexico vs. Ecuador match on March 28, was the most-viewed soccer match of 1Q15 on all networks, regardless of language. The match delivered an average of 2.6 million Total Viewers and 1.5 million Adults 18-49.
- The most-viewed club soccer match of 1Q15 aired January 10 on Univision. The Liga Mexicana Fútbol matchup between América and León delivered an average audience of 1.7 million Total Viewers and 970,000 Adults 18-49. The match delivered +26% more Total Viewers and +34% more Adults 18-49 than the top English Premier League match on NBC between Manchester City-Chelsea, which aired January 31.
Liga Mexicana Fútbol ranks as the most-viewed soccer league in the United States among key demos, besting all other soccer leagues on all other networks, regardless of language.
- In the current season, Liga MX on UniMás has outperformed EPL on NBC by +15% among Total Viewers and +33% among Adults 18-49.
Univision, UniMás and Univision Deportes Network (UDN) all posted impressive growth with Liga MX coverage in 1Q15.
- On Univision, viewership for Liga MX increased by +10% among both Total Viewers and Adults 18-49 vs. prior year.
- On UniMás, viewership for Liga MX increased by +32% among Total Viewers and +41% among Adults 18-49 vs. prior year, boosted by strong performance of the Chivas team.
- Liga MX on UniMás averaged 985,000 Total Viewers and 588,000 Adults18-49 per match in 1Q15, the most-viewed 1Q of Liga MX on UniMás since 2008.
- On UDN, Liga MX ratings increased +20% with Total Viewers and +18% with Adults 18-49 vs. year ago.
- Liga MX on UDN averaged a network record 308,000 Total Viewers and 185,000 Adults 18-49 per match in 1Q15.
- Liga MX on UDN averaged more viewers than the current NHL season on NBCSN and current NBA season on NBA TV. Liga MX on UDN bested live NHL games on NBCSN by +8% among Adults 18-49 and live NBA games on NBA TV by +37% among Adults 18-49.
On the cable front, this was the 8th consecutive quarter of year-to-year growth for UDN, which aired more live events than both ESPN Deportes and Fox Deportes and scored better ratings.
- UDN aired 8 of the top 10 Spanish-language cable telecasts among Adults 18-49 in 1Q15.
- UDN was up +19% with both Total Viewers and Adults 18-49 in primetime vs. prior year.
- UDN was up +27% with Total Viewers and +30% with Adults 18-49 in total day vs. prior year.
UDN was also the No.1 Spanish-language sports network in 1Q15 in both Total Day and primetime among Total Viewers and Adults 18-49:
- UDN bested ESPN Deportes by +83% and FOX Deportes by +104% among Total Viewers in primetime.
- UDN bested ESPN Deportes by +100% and FOX Deportes by +119% among Adults 18-49 in primetime.
- UDN bested ESPN Deportes by +45% and FOX Deportes by +62% among Total Viewers in Total Day.
- UDN bested ESPN Deportes by +44% and FOX Deportes by +63% among Adults 18-49 in Total Day.
UDN is available in 41.3 million households, the most widely distributed Spanish-language sports cable network.
Source: Nielsen, NPM, NPMH, L+SD data.
CONTACT: Esther Mireya Tejeda, email@example.com, 646-560-4829