Positive Messaging Drives Positive Results for Post Honey Bunches of Oats Cereal
Increase awareness and relevancy for Post’s Honey Bunches of Oats “positivity platform” with the goal of driving dollar consumption and share in the Hispanic Ready to Eat cereal category.
Marketers have known for years that a program built around the music and stars consumers love can drive deep levels of engagement and create an emotional bond. And with Hispanics, music and star-power matter even more. They have a bigger meaning in Hispanic culture because they act as a bridge— keeping millions of Hispanics connected to their heritage and roots, spanning generations within a family. Latin music and stars move Hispanic consumers to take action.
Univision and Honey Bunches of Oats crafted a multiplatform marketing partnership that tapped into this love for Latin music, to amplify the brand’s “Let’s Think Positive” (“Pensemos Positivo”) communication platform. With the help of a high profile Latino brand ambassador, Univision and Honey Bunches of Oats sparked a chain reaction of positive executions punctuated by two major Latin music awards shows, moving Hispanics to action and bringing them happiness through access to Latin music and their favorite stars.
Each campaign component laddered back to Honey Bunches of Oats positivity platform, and hit on campaign objectives from the top of the purchase funnel all the way to point of sale, thanks to the following tactical elements:
- integrated sponsorship of two of the biggest nights in Latin Music – Premio Lo Nuestro (February 2013) and Premios Juventud (July 2013)
- a brand ambassador and face of the campaign, Mexican star Aaron Diaz
- 4.5 million co-branded promotional cereal boxes utilizing UCI’s marks and logos and Aaron Diaz’s likeness
- a high-value consumer sweepstakes promoted on cereal boxes and across broadcast, digital and social media
- a series of small, exclusive concerts with big name music stars Chino y Nacho and Belinda in 3 grassroots markets
- creation of two first-of-their-kind morning commercial roadblocks featuring concert footage across three Univision networks, presented by Honey Bunches of Oats
- integrated segments and pitches on Despierta America and El Gordo y La Flaca
- 360-degree media plan across broadcast, cable, digital assets, and local radio
The truly integrated, cross-platform program truly paid off for Honey Bunches of Oats: The program raised awareness with a stellar 77% increase in general awareness over Honey Bunches of Oats’ English-language advertising (according to Nielsen IAG), and an unprecedented 5% CTR (vs. industry average of 0.9%) on digital promotional units. The program also delivered on Post’s ultimate objective of driving sales and increasing share, including: 7.5% sales growth on co-branded cereal boxes (nearly 8x the category growth; a 19% share increase in key markets helped fuel national share growth; and the brand garnered share increases that outpaced all competitors during the 5-month campaign.